Thursday, July 22, 2010

Going the Distance

This isn't a blog post about CAKE or Michael Bolton (that would be nice) but this is more of a personal reflection piece. I feel like I am supposed to be sharing more and more of the triumphs I am experiencing in my life right now. I have been out of high school now for 6 years, and I have been out of college now for 2 1/2 months, in that time, I have discovered so much about who I am as a person, and when I look at the time I had while I was in high school, there were times where I just wanted to cringe and wish that these events never happened. I used to have a horrible habit of latching onto people who made me feel safe and comfortable, but I had to move on and grow up. Sure, the people in my life back then had trouble understanding someone with a legitimate problem. I have aspergers syndrome and as such I have ackward social skills, and some IGNORANT people will often consider the fact that my behavior was just a way to act out and get attention, and wouldn't even dare take the chance to try and figure out what was making me the way that I was. Aspergers Syndrome is a form of Autism. Not as severe as some of the forms of it, but I'm sorry I haven't been truthful with some people about having a learning disability, you'd probably never know it, unless I had said something. I never think of myself as different from anyone else. It just takes me longer to get things done than some people. I thought a lot about sharing this on my blog after I watched a movie on Hallmark Channel called "FRONT OF THE CLASS" about a man named Brad Cohen (based on a true story, btw)

He grew up with Tourettes Syndrome. He was ridiculed by his teachers and classmates, and school was difficult for him because of his illness. But he triumphed. He grew up learning to cope with his condition, and he ended up becoming a 2nd grade teacher in Atlanta. He didn't let anything stop him from obtaining his dream of teaching, and this is the same for me. I will never view my Asperger's as a crutch or a reason to not try my best to get something accomplished. I will perservere, I will grow deeper in my walk with the Lord, and I will be a great tool for God's Glory, that is the purpose of this post, to show people that there is nothing that is going to stop me from being great. In my mind, I know God will deal with the people who have seen me with ignorant hearts, and that comforts me, because the battle is not my own battle it is God's battle and that's all that matters.

I have also prayed for my nephew who has Aspergers (I love you so much). I pray that as you grow up that you love Jesus with all your heart and know that we all love you with all our hearts.

I write this in dedication of people who are struggling with their disabilities, with their handicaps, you can succeed, all you have to do is trust that God will be there to sustain you through you hardships. He is there! Depend on him!

GRACE AND PEACE!

No comments: