Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Revive This Nation 2 - Klickitat, Washington (Day 3): Monday March 12, 2012

One Step at a Time

I am not sure how to even give a title to this day, which isn’t even over with yet, but I just figured: each day we take things slowly, we need to focus on just how great God is and how he moves in us to do things, so it truly is a “One Step at a Time” process.

DAY 3: THE MONDAY

First of all, I wish my friend Josh Anderson a happy birthday! He and I are close in proximity to our revival locations, I am in Washington State, and he is in Oregon.
I woke up to snow on the ground and it was snowing still by the time pastor came to pick me up at the host home in the mountains and go down to the valley where Klickitat is. Driving back up the mountain after the day was over, I was having visuals from a movie I had seen. When I was younger, I had an interest in natural disasters (particularly volcanoes) and it was very shocking to hear people in this community say they REMEMBER what it was like when Mt. St. Helens erupted in 1980. They said they remember what it was like when the ash cloud came, and it felt like late at night when the ash covered sunlight and you couldn’t see anything. It literally turned day to night.

Well the movie I’m referring to is “Dante’s Peak” (came out in 1997). There’s a scene where the characters are driving a car up the mountain while the ash is falling and they couldn’t see anything. The mountain road between Klickitat and Appleton (where I am staying) is winding and there are guardrails, which prevent cars from plummeting to their demise. It was foggy out, and it reminded me of that scene. My heart raced the entire way back to the Osburns house. Glad to be sitting at the desk in my room writing this post.

I am also happy that I was able to spend a little bit of time on the internet today, even though its not in the way I would have liked it to be. I was at Pastor George’s house using it from his study. His house is full of Coca-Cola memorabilia, which I think is just awesome. His study is a little nook on the second floor filled with Bible Commentaries, theology textbooks and a train set. I was there for lunch today, and it never occurred to me how great our God really is, because I am taking things “One Step at a Time” and didn’t even pay attention.

About 3 weeks ago, I was at a Cardiologist appointment in Fort Worth, doing a routine check up on the “ticker” and I heard some great news from my doctor. He wants me to treat my heart as if I had the heart of a healthy individual. As a result, I no longer find myself drinking decaf coffee. I can drink regular coffee with no side effects, okay, maybe I become a little happy and giddy from the coffee, but there really aren’t any physical effects on my body. Praise God from whom all blessings flow. I am in Washington State for crying out loud. Starbucks was born in this state! How could I not drink some coffee and good coffee I might add?
I was at Pastor’s house because we had an appointment today with a guy named Nick. Nick became a believer a few years ago, and he just had a lot on his mind, and pastor was telling me that because I was closer to Nick’s age, it might have helped him open up a little bit better. He shared a lot of personal stuff and some fears and probably a lot of doubts (well in my opinion anyway) about his salvation and we were around to answer them. I will be giving Nick my cell phone number so we can stay in touch when I head back south to Texas. It will be good to be available for someone who desperately needs to be in touch with other believers. In fact, since I was on Facebook today, I RSVP’d to an event that SWBTS is doing “Man Night” at the RAC, and I wish that Nick could be down for that, it would be a good experience for him to come hang out and to be encouraged.

After a restful evening with my host family, we returned to church where I preached on Daniel 6 (the story of Daniel in the Lion’s Den) and gave a background as to why it’s important to stand firm in the faith. How we shouldn’t take no for an answer, and I feel it was well received. I haven’t had a chance to watch the video yet, so I couldn’t really tell you what I thought of it.

My theme for the revival was like this, and will continue to be this way for the remainder of the time:

Sunday: Isaiah 53 (am) and Acts 8:26-40 (pm)

Isaiah 53 focuses on identifying the “Suffering Servant”, the man we know to be Christ Jesus.

Acts 8:26-40 focuses on the fact that once Jesus was identified as this “servant”, we need to have moments where we obey the Holy Spirit leading us to talk to those who need to hear.

Monday: Daniel 6
This passage focuses on taking a tremendous stand for the faith and realizing that we cannot waiver in our integrity or our resolve to be men and women of God; no matter what comes our way.

Tuesday: Matthew 14:22-33
Jesus Walking on the Water deals with the fact that after we have approached the stand we are willing to take for Christ, what do we do when we get scared?

Wednesday: John 20:24-31
Because we have seen Jesus and we have trusted in him, we should have reason to trust in him, and there shouldn’t be any doubts in our minds. This passage deals with “Doubting” Thomas and how he declared “My Lord, my God”…

Besides that, I am enjoying the moments where I just sit back and let God continue to work in the hearts and lives of this mountain community, because like a vapor, this time will end and I will be thrust pretty hard back into reality. School is still only half completed, and after this semester ends, I will have been in seminary for 2 full years. That is a crazy thought. My world changed from night to day, literally over the course of a year. Different goals, different dreams, different paths to take, and now after a second revival (which isn’t even done yet). I am grateful for this opportunity to be here. Last year on this program, I was able to build up some pretty strong friendships. I pray for all of my friends around the country doing this program, as well those who are pursing ministry goals that are challenges to overcome. Some seem like mountains, but I leave you with the words a mighty man of God once told me to remember, we should never be discouraged because God is always on your side.

Another day of ministry awaits!

My beloved wife…it is only another 2 days before I have you in my arms to hold on to you. I love you with every ounce of my being and being apart from you has been the hardest thing on my soul, but your love, your devotion to Christ, encourages me to press on, and thank you for praying for me. I love you so very much!
GRACE AND PEACE!
-Joel
Psalm 37:4

No comments: