Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Outrageous October

Now that I am on Fall Break, I can chill, (sort of). I am here in the South End of Louisville doing a little bit of ministry for my North American Mission Board internship which I finally began on Monday. I am so happy to finally have some work (in a way), but this experience will not only help me earn a living, but I can also build up ministry experiences for the future by what I am doing. I found a local place (which smells absolutely amazing) down here in the South End called The Pie Pantry. What I have planned for what I am doing involves things that I learned while I was in Japan. We were in groups that strategically went out at our train stations and did ministry among people in a sort of "undercover" fashion. I am here to just study, use the internet, and meet people where they are. This place has the absolute best Chai Latte I have had in a long time, and I am so used to having the one at Founders. (A lack of flex dollars has changed that dramtically), so it is nice to find a place that sells Chai Lattes for 1/2 of what I pay at Founders (nice).

My goal is to be doing this strategic ministry two days a week, so I can make contacts and get to know the people in the community a little bit better. This is some advice that my lifegroup leader, Victor Ferrara gave me and I think its brilliant. I have so much knowledge I have gained since I have gotten back from Japan, so I am happy to be able to use that knowledge and win people for Christ. Right now, I am the only person in the shop (as a customer) right now. So I will be doing homework, and making my cover seem a little bit more hidden. I feel a little bad, but at the same time, this is something that is not my own. I just felt the push of the Holy Spirit to be here and meet people.

I feel blessed that next week I get to see my parents for the first time since August. I'll be in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. It's weird because we used to live there when I was little, and most of the time if we were in Texas, it would be in El Paso, where my family lived. So it is going to be incredibly weird for me to be in Texas in a completely different area, when I haven't been there for so many years. I will hopefully be seeing some friends from the trip to Japan while I am there, but it will be amazing to see SW Seminary for the first time and to go on the campus and have a tour, so I will see what will happen.

Will write again soon.
PEACE!

No comments: